Vision and MissionVision and Mission
To be the UK’s foremost collective of musicians, musicologists and music-lovers with a passion for Iberian and Latin American art music, and a hub for the creative exchange of ideas and resources. Our manifesto is to provide a platform for ‘serious’ Luso-Hispanic music in order to challenge established perceptions surrounding cultural identities.
Our overarching aim is to challenge, educate, inspire and entertain London’s variegated audiences with a regular diary of concerts, master classes and lectures.
Our Mission Goals
- To promote the rich classical repertoire of Iberia and Latin America on the UK concert scene, which is too often occluded from mainstream programming
- To dislocate misconceptions and prejudices which support the secondary positioning of Iberian and Latin American repertoire in relation to canonical repertoire
- To create performance opportunities for both rising young artistic talent and established Iberian and Latin American classical musicians
- To challenge the typical ‘Northern’ monolithic view of Luso-Hispanic music by offering audiences the chance to hear authentic performances and diverse programmes which reflect its multifaceted heritage
- To commission and premiere new Luso-Hispanic music to showcase its contemporary composers
- To educate audiences through the contextualization of Iberian and Latin American music with lectures, lecture-recitals, master classes, and themed festivals through collaboration with eminent specialists in the field
- Innovation – introducing the revolutionary spirit of Latin American Music into the classical music of the 21st century
- Integrity – we aim to place artistic values consistently at the top of the cultural agenda with sincerity and commitment
- Excellence – valuing through differentiation and quality, elevating a subjugated art form to its rightful platform
- Diversity and Integration – by believing in the importance of cultural diversity and the power of music to bring beliefs, art forms and people of all ages and origins together
Site design and content copyright © 1998-2017
The Iberian and Latin American Music Society, all rights reserved.
ILAMS is a registered charity, No. 1092749